Use or Hire a Green Space
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Chelmsford City Council are not permitting third-party events at this time. The Council will review this in accordance with advice from both the Government and Public Health England.
Our parks and green spaces can be used for events. These open spaces are available to be used for a wide range of events, from family gatherings, to charity runs, to large commercial events.
Depending on the nature of the event, you may need to hire the area on a more formal basis. You do not need to hire and there is no charge if:
- no more than 50 people are attending your event and you will only be bringing in a gazebo and/or a few outdoor chairs
- your event is taking place during the park’s normal opening hours
- you will not be playing any music at your event
- you are mindful of other people using the park and/or area you are using
- you are not having a BBQ, as these are not permitted
- you clean up the area after your visit
- you are not undertaking any activity that could pose a risk to anyone coming to your event, or other visitors to the park
We do recommend that if you are arranging a visit, that you check to see if the park is being used for any other events on the day to ensure there will be adequate parking available.
If you are planning to hold a larger event, you need to contact us to discuss your plans and requirements and to book the space. You will be required to follow the Council’s Outdoor Event Policy. Once an application has been approved, you must provide the necessary documentation and seek the appropriate licences.
A larger event, such as a charity run, community picnic, food and drink festival would involve:
- more than 50 people attending
- bringing in infrastructure into the park, e.g. staging, lighting, marquees, etc.
- playing live or recorded music
There may be other aspects to the event, and that would be discussed once the City Council has been contacted.
Depending on the size and scale of your event, we may ask you to:
- complete an application form, which is required at least six weeks before the date of your event
- you will be required to provide risk assessments, public liability insurance and an event management plan
- pay a hire charge
When you contact us to discuss your plans, we will consider the viability of the event and whether we require you to complete an application form. Once this is received, we can then give you the costs involved for the event. If you wish to proceed, please use the contact button and fill in the form. Please ensure you provide an email address so you can be contacted directly.
If you wish to hold an event at Hylands Park for more than 5,000 people, you will need to contact Hylands House and Estate.