The Green Flag Award® is the international standard for parks and green spaces. It is managed under license from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government by Keep Britain Tidy, who administers the scheme in the UK. The scheme recognises and rewards well managed parks and greenspaces, setting the benchmark standard for the management of parks and recreational outdoor spaces.
Well maintained and accessible parks and green spaces are highly valued by residents. Here in Chelmsford, we feel our parks are a leading factor in making the city a good place to live and important to the ‘quality of life’ in the local area.
There are currently 15 Chelmsford parks accredited under the Green Flag scheme – the most in the east of England and an accolade we are proud of. In the coming years we intend to get more of our parks accredited in a similar manner.
The Green Flag award scheme has been used proactively in Chelmsford to achieve independent quality accreditation which ensures everybody has access to quality green space, irrespective of where they live. The scheme helps make sure that these spaces are appropriately managed and maintained to meet the needs of the communities that they serve.
This scheme recognises and rewards well managed parks and green spaces, setting the benchmark standard for the management of recreational outdoor spaces across the United Kingdom and around the world. The purpose and aims of the scheme are:
- To ensure that everybody has access to quality green and other open spaces, irrespective of where they live
- To ensure that these spaces are appropriately managed and meet the needs of the communities that they serve
- To establish standards of good management
- To promote and share good practice amongst the green space sector
- To recognise and reward the hard work of managers, staff and volunteers